
I love this day! I wish there were more days to honor these
brave men and women.
You could argue that they chose this career or that they knew what they were getting in to. You could even say "they didn't have to join." I would never say any of those things. Yes, they did choose. Yes, they did know what they were signing up for, but we don't know their circumstances. We don't know their family. We don't know what their lives were like. Maybe it was what was expected. Maybe they come from a long line of military. Maybe they are really patriotic and feel like they can make a difference. Maybe they want the GI money so they can further their education. Maybe it just seemed like the right thing to do. No matter the choice, I am eternally grateful for them.
From our earliest wars to the current war, we have so many military members to honor. They have made it possible for us to live in this free land. They have stood up for right. They fight for a country that they love and honor. They may not always agree with what they are doing, or even know what the next mission is but they do it because they were trained to do so. They know the end goal and they all work together to achieve it.
I have mentioned before that I only got to be a part of the military for a short time which I am so grateful for. It opened my eyes to so much and I will cherish that time for the rest of my life. My wonderful husband spent his 4 years serving his country. One of those years was spent in Iraq. He is a better man because of his time spent. He learned some wonderful life lessons while working along side of his buddies. He made some great friends. I made some great friends because of him. They are all scattered across the country but I am sure if they met up, it would be like no time was lost.
These men and women are family to one another. They have each others backs. (i got your six) They would die for one another as well as you and I. Unfortunately some of them have.
It is our job to honor them. Let them know we care. Shake their hand when you see one. Hug them. Take care of them when they come back to us.
So today as well as every day we should salute the troops. They are allowing us to have freedoms that other countries do not have. Let's not let them down. We need to fight for our country too. Not out in the battle field but here on our own soil. Let's not lose what they have fought for, for so many years. Let's keep our freedoms.
I love Toby Keith's American Soldier
you can watch it here.
Beautifully written! Thanks!
ReplyDelete