So many times I have wanted to give up. If it weren't for my children I might have already but I have 4 little people that need me and all of me. They are dependent on me for every aspect of their day. They need me to change them, feed them, play with them, tie their shoes, read to them, kiss their ouchies, solve riddles, answer knock-knock jokes, answer the same question 20 times, comb their hair, bathe them, brush their teeth, get them drinks, carry their bikes down the stairs, do their laundry, clean up their spills, turn the T.V. on, dance with them, snuggle them, hug them, sing to them, teach them and love them.
AND IT IS HARD!!!!
Anyone that said being a mom is a piece of cake, can come to my house for the day and try it out. By no means am I a complaining. I chose this path, it is what I am meant to do. I am a mother. However, that doesn't mean that every day is butterflies and rainbows. No way, at our house we have some doozy of days and then we have some wonderful days filled with rainbows and butterflies.
I am hear to say that it is OK to have those kind of days. This is not Stepford. We are not robots. We are human beings with emotions and feelings. We are supposed to have lazy days. We are allowed to be crabby. We are allowed to cry or scream. We can have days where we don't shower or even get out of our pajamas. We are allowed to have messy houses. We don't always have to have a 5 course dinner on the table. We are allowed to forget to wash off our make-up. We don't have to enroll our children into every extra-curricular class possible. We are allowed to make mistakes. Dang, we are not perfect, we were put on this earth to learn and be tested.
I love being a mother. I love that I get to stay home and see all the firsts of my children. I am very lucky to be able to teach them myself, and see them get excited when they figure something out. I love the joy on their faces when they try something for the first time. My job is very important which is why it is important to not get down on myself for every little thing that might have gone wrong. My children won't remember when I forgot their lunch, they will remember the way I react. Do I want them to remember me being a spaz or lunatic mother that is so concerned with keeping the house clean or do I want to be remembered as the mother that always sat on the floor with us? The mother that let things go and didn't freak out? The mother that laughed and cried with us? Yes! That is how I want to be remembered.
STOP comparing and beating yourselves up. You are doing a wonderful job. I am doing a wonderful job, I need to remember to tell myself that every once in a while.
Thank you for the reminders! Great post!
ReplyDeleteI love this! So very very true, every word!
ReplyDelete